Humans are emotional beings but managers around the world think emotions are never a part of decision-making processes. The studies trickling down from various sources show that 70% of decisions are emotional and the rest 30% are based on rational and objectivity.
There are different kinds of employees in any organization and the engagement practices differ too based on their personalities. In any organization, there are three types of employees:
Engaged (15% of the employees): These employees often can be touted as the brand ambassadors of the organization. They are happy with the companies’ policies and stay loyal to the company. They are sure to stay with the companies for the long haul. They are sure of the roles they play and the training they require in future. Other than that, they are happy to adapt to new roles and contingencies that may expect these employees to develop new skills. They are the kind of people who act as emerging leaders and can be accentuated for future management and leadership roles. The best strategy in the world of talent management for such people is to keep encouraging them and allowing them their freedom to always reach their maximum potential.
Not engaged (67% of the employees): Neither do such employees relate to the company’s mission, goals, values, and vision for a better and successful future. They will do what it requires for them to complete the bare minimum requirements and get through the monotonous and mundane jobs of every day. They won’t brainstorm, think of new and innovative ideas, and do anything related to the company profitability and productivity. These employees are the medium level in the funnel of employee engagement and with activities- adequate or non-adequate- can reach either the top funnel or the bottom funnel respectively.
Actively disengaged (18% of the employees): These are the toughest people to work around. They create a negative environment with their toxic comments. They influence others into unhappiness and ungratefulness for the kind of remuneration, the job roles or services the companies are offering. It becomes all the more difficult when such people are subject matter specialists. It’s not like such people can’t be changed to bring them to the top funnel, but it will take a lot of best practices of the talent management strategy to be there. It’s always good to bring them into confidence and listen to their grievances and asking them the feedback with respect to the changes they would like to have in the workplace. Learning from such people can be a great changer for the organizations.
The world of talent management wouldn’t survive without engaging people, re-engaging those who have left the path of being engaged, and further engaging who are neither engaged nor disengaged. Though stated time and again, many managers have failed at implementing the right talent management strategy. It’s good to have the knowledge where to start from.