A career in banking has always garnered respect by everyone and has always been considered of good standing. And if it is a career as an investment banker then it is all the better. Good salary package, glamorous lifestyle (as portrayed in books and movies) lure the youngsters to a career as an investment banker. However, the hidden fact is that there is lots of hard work, sharp mind, quick reflexes and grit that makes a successful investment banker.
Investment Banking Career – All You Need to Know!
Career in investment banking sounds really good no? But wait, there is more than sounding good and looking good if you are planning a career as an investment banker. To understand that let’s have a look at what all you need to become a successful investment banker.
1. Sharp analytical dexterity: One of the most important skills you need to acquire if you wish to succeed as an investment banker. If you are able to portray this skill on your portfolio, then you would be able to beat the competition. As you would constantly be surrounded with numbers, your sharp analytical skills would help you shine brightly among your competitors.
2. Problem-solving ability: Hone your problem-solving skills if you see yourself as a successful investment banker. There would be numerous times when you would be required to solve some critical problems under highly stressed environs. You need to be quick in your thinking and come up with solutions that are feasible to succeed as an investment banker
3. Excellent communication skills: Ok did you think that you could become an investment banker without excellent communication skills? If yes, then you were wrong, because you should possess excellent communication skills to present your ideas to both your superiors, clients and even your teammates. Excellent communication skills would come to your aid when you would make your presentations to your clients. So hone up this skill as well.
4. Hawk eyes for details: You know what is meant by hawk eyes for details. Nothing should be able to evade your eyes. Whether it is a difference in font sizes on the two slides, numbers not aligning with the industry trends among other details, you should be able to catch it at one go.
5. Strong time management skills: Multi-tasking would be your second nature, so yes you should possess good time management skills so that no project suffers.
6. Strong and interesting personality: Your personality would be a determinant whether or not you would get a job or not. As an investment banker you would need to have a pleasing personality so that your clients are able to approach you. Consider an airport test wherein the hiring managers would like to know how would they feel if they are stuck up with you at an airport – whether they would be bored or would you be able to strike up an interesting conversation.
All in all, career in investment banking is quite lucrative but of-course you need to work hard to reach that position.