The mixture of Spice is traditionally used for referring to the British spice mix that is used for bringing exotic flavours to baked and sweet products, like pudding and biscuits. Also known as pudding spice, this mixture is relatively easy to prepare, guarantees fresh flavours to the products, and makes baking more convenient.
What is Mixture of Spices?
It is a classic and an extremely aromatic mix of sweet spices in which cinnamon stands out as the dominant spice, along with allspice and nutmeg. In Australia, it is a favourite during Easter and Christmas cooking, especially while making fruit cakes, mince pies, and hot cross buns.
Ingredients of This Spice Mix
A mixed spice is a typical blend of the following spices:
Physical Properties of Spice Mix
While purchasing a mixture of spice, keep the following points in mind:
• Its colour should be bright brown and not dark brown. A bright colour indicates freshness and purity.
• It should have a fairly aromatic smell.
• It should be free from any foreign materials like stones and grit.
• If you are buying this spice from outside, make sure you purchase only from a reputed brand.• Do not get duped by brands that offer adulterated spice packets. It is extremely easy to fool customers who are buying spices mix because there is no way to judge the exact combination of this blend.
Health Benefits of Spice Mix
Spices have been known to offer a number of health benefits. They are also a part of the folklore medicine and can be used for treating mild infections at home without popping pills! Here we give you some of the health benefits of the individual spice that are a part of the mixed spice brigade:
Clove: Clove helps us in fighting a number of diseases like:
• Digestive problems
• Bacterial infection
• Liver diseases
• Bone problems
Coriander: Coriander is known to possess a number of health benefits. Some of them are:
• Lowering blood sugar levels
• Easing digestive problems
• Improve cholesterol levels
• Manage Urinary tract Infections
• Support healthy menstrual cycle
Ginger: Ginger is known to contain gingerol that is known to possess a number of health benefits like:
• Treat nausea and vomiting
• Relieves morning sickness
• Manages osteoarthritis
• Lowers pain
Nutmeg: Nutmeg is a popular spice with a number of health benefits like:
• Manages cough and cold
• Relieves pain
• Detoxifies body
• Boosts skin quality
• Manage insomnia
• Improves cognitive functions
Cinnamon: Health benefits of cinnamon are as follows:
• High source of antioxidants
• Anti-inflammatory properties
• Improves heart health
• Lowers cancer risk
• Fights infections
Allspice: Some of the ways in which an allspice helps our body are as follow:
• Treats diarrhea
• Relieves nausea and vomiting
• Has anti-inflammatory properties
There are a number of recipes in which you can use mixed spices and give an exotic flavour to it:
1. Spiced pumpkin donuts
2. Gingerbread beach hut
3. Sticky fruit buns
4. Ginger Lime Slice
5. Carrot Cake
This is everything about the multipurpose and extremely healthy blend of spices. Happy Cooking!